• Andover Theological Seminary, Andover Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      On same sheet as Phillips Academy Buildings. The Andover Theological Seminary: Rev. Dr. Spring of Newburyport and Dr. Hopkins of Salem developed a plan to open a theological seminary around the same time as Phoebe Phillips, Hon. John Phillips, and Samuel Abbot had begun their plans to do the same in Andover. When they realized this, the two groups made the decision (after much discussion and uncertainty) to join their efforts and make one seminary. They reasoned that one school would be more practical than two rival schools, but the next roadblock was how to teach both Hopkinsian and Calvinistic doctrines at the seminary. It took nine months of negotiations with Dr. Eliphalet Pearson as moderator, but finally everyone arrived at a compromise and the seminary went forward. Dr. Spring found several people willing to donate money to the Andover Theological Seminary. Mr. and Mrs. John Norris gave $40,000, Mr. Moses Brown gave $35,000, and Mr. William Bartlet gave a total of $160,000. The three partners of Smith, Dove & Company (John and Peter Smith, and John Dove) donated $60,000 for a library to be built. It was called Brechin Hall, after the donors’ hometown in Scotland. Brechin Hall housed thirty-seven thousand books, in addition to its religious periodicals. It was also home to a number of curiosities gathered by missionaries who traveled abroad. Included in this collection were religious items from people who the missionaries considered to be “heathens.” Phillips Academy: Phillips Academy was founded in 1778 by Samuel Phillips, Jr. and opened with thirteen students. The prestige of the school grew, attracting students such as Howell Lewis, the nephew of George Washington and Samuel F.B. Morse, the inventor of the telegraph and Morse Code. In 1808 the Andover Theological Seminary was founded next to Phillips Academy. In 1828 it was decided in the town of Andover that a school would be built for girls so that they could receive an education like their brothers. It was called Abbot Academy and the first class had seventy students. After the Andover Theological Seminary moved to Cambridge in 1908, Phillips Academy bought the buildings and land that the seminary had occupied and absorbed them into its campus. In 1973, Phillips Academy and Abbot Academy merged to become a coeducational school.
    • Church of the Annunciation, Danvers, Mass. Rev. D.B. Kennedy, Pastor.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      St. Mary of the Annunciation was founded in 1859 although it was not officially named the Church of St. Mary of the Annunciation until 1871. As the congregation grew, the building of the church was extended. A second parish cemetery was added in 1897. A new church had to be built in 1937 after the demolition of the old church due to construction of Route 128. A rectory was built in 1948. In 1958 a parochial school was built, followed two years later by a convent. At the time of this lithograph, Rev. Daniel B. Kennedy was pastor. He only remained at the church for two years. Every record of Rev. Kennedy at a church after his time in Danvers shows that he never stayed at any given parish for more than a few years.
    • Church of the Immaculate Conception, Rev. A.J. Teeling, Pastor. Newburyport, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Arthur J. Teeling was born in Dublin in 1844 and came to this country when he was three years old. He lived in the Boston area and in 1864 decided to enter into the Catholic priesthood. He entered the Provincial Seminary in Troy, New York. In the time between being ordained and being assigned to the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Newburyport, Teeling sailed to Liverpool and spent the next six months travelling through Europe, Egypt, and the Holy Land. In Rome he met with Pope Leo XIII who bestowed his blessing upon the Church of the Immaculate Conception through Teeling. In the days before an official church was established, Catholics in Newburyport would gather at one person’s home and priests from other towns would conduct Mass there. As the number of Catholics in Newburyport grew, the need for a chapel became more urgent. Property was purchased but the congregation continued to multiply, and the chapel was outgrown. Finally, in 1852, a brand new church was erected to accommodate the sizeable congregation. A rectory was purchased shortly after the dedication of the new church. But by the time the well-respected priest who was largely responsible for these expansions, Father Lennon, passed away in 1871, the Church of the Immaculate Conception was $9,000 in debt and still did not have a Catholic cemetery. The rectory had passed out of the church’s hands, as had most of the property that they had owned and on which they had worshipped. This is what faced Father Teeling when he finally arrived in Newburyport. He was left to pick up the pieces, and he rose to the challenge. He paid off the church’s debt. In 1872 he bought back the parochial residence that had been used by Father Lennon. He had a spire built on the church in 1874. In April 1874 he bought land on Storey Avenue for a Catholic cemetery. He bought property on which he had built a parochial school for boys and girls, and a convent for the nuns who taught at the school. The school opened in 1882. He was known for his excellent counsel to his parishioners in spiritual, personal, financial, and other aspects of their lives. As a priest, Arthur J. Teeling was considered to be wildly successful and garnered much praise.
    • D. J. Folger, Manufacturer of Carriages and Sleighs. Amesbury, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      David J. Folger, originally from Nantucket, was an apprentice at a carriage trimmer in Fall River. In 1869 he started working for Charles W. Patten, a carriage maker based in Amesbury. When Patten retired in 1880, Folger took over the business, operating under the name D.J. Folger, Maunfacturer of Carriages and Sleighs. In 1887 Folger teamed up with James Drummond, and the following year they opened a new carriage factory. They produced 1,000 carriages a year and showed their products at the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893. At a carriage show banquet that Folger and Drummond attended in 1896, the guests were assured that the horse and carriage business had a long future and that there was no need to be concerned by the new, sure-to-fail invention: the horseless carriage. Just a few years later, Folger died. Many of the stores in Amesbury closed for Folger’s funeral, and the procession was accompanied by the E.P. Wallace GAR Post, of which Folger had been a member. Drummond was left to try to keep the business afloat while the “horseless carriage,” or automobile, was becoming increasingly popular.
    • Danvers Iron Works, Danversport, Mass. A.G. Tompkins & Co., Boston.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co.; Jones, Joseph L. (1884-01-01)
      When Arthur Gordon Tompkins died in 1892, he bequeathed the sum of $100,000 to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. The purpose of this trust, as outlined in his will, was to allow the museum to make as many free admission days as possible with no financial burden to the institution. He also stipulated that whatever sum was left over after his estate was settled should be given to the MFA for use in purchasing modern oil paintings. Tompkins also left money to Massachusetts General Hospital, the Young Men's Christian Union, the Home for Aged Men, the Home for Aged Women, the Home for Aged Couples, and the Home for Little Wanderers. His firm, Arthur G. Tompkins & Co., owned the Danvers Iron Works.
    • "Forest Hill," Residence of the Late Peter Smith, Andover Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Peter Smith, born in Brechin, Scotland, sailed to America to join his older brother, John, who had already been living there for several years. John had started a cotton machinery manufacturing business with two other men, both of whom died shortly after the venture began. Peter, along with John Dove, a friend from Brechin, entered into the business with the elder Smith. John Dove convinced John Smith that there was a market for flax products in America. They incorporated this into the business and it became so lucrative that they abandoned the cotton machinery all together. Peter was in charge of managing the business, a department in which he excelled. He donated a great deal of money to the Andover Memorial Hall Library, the Theological Seminary, Phillips Academy, and Abbot Academy. He was a deacon at West Parish Church for 48 years, teaching Sunday school and inspiring respect and affection in his employees, students, friends, and fellow townsmen.
    • "Hillcrest" Residence of Gen. Eben Sutton. North Andover, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      General Eben Sutton was born in 1836 in Salem, Massachusetts. He began his career by working in the wool business, but soon moved to New York City and established the commission house of Sutton, Smith & Co. While in New York he met and married Mary Hasbruck, a native of the city. They had begun their family when Sutton’s uncle (also named Eben) died, leaving no heir to take over the family mill in North Andover. Sutton uprooted his family and moved from New York to North Andover in order to run the business that had earned the Suttons their wealth. Supposedly, Mary did not want to leave the city, and so to ease her adjustment to the quiet town, Sutton built an enormous estate called Hill Crest. It was said that General Sutton gave freely to the town of North Andover, always ready to assist with charities and various enterprises. He paid particular attention to St. Paul’s Episcopal church. He was extremely generous with his time and money in an attempt to expand the church. He was also known for treating the employees of his mill particularly well.
    • Kernwood. Residence of S. E. Peabody, Salem, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Samuel Endicott Peabody, of the famous Peabody family, and distantly related to the philanthropist George Peabody, spent one year at Harvard before realizing that a college course and all that it promised was not the life for him. Samuel embarked on a voyage at sea in one of his father’s ships and upon returning he joined with Francis Curtis to form Curtis & Peabody. This business continued for many years, and found success in the China and India trade. Peabody married and had five children. In 1871 he moved his family to England where he became a partner in J.S. Morgan & Company, a business founded by George Peabody. After eight years in England, he brought his family back to the States, buying his father’s old estate, Kernwood, in Salem. He hoped to retire from business upon his return to America but he found that retirement did not suit him. Peabody went back to work, holding positions of authority in a number of other companies until his death in 1909.
    • Morocco Manufactory H. A. Pevear & Sons; Lynn, Mass. Office & Salesrooms, 61 High St., Boston.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Owned by Henry Augustus Pevear, the H. A. Pevear & Sons Morocco Manufactory in Lynn, was a successful morocco business. Morocco is a type of soft, flexible leather made from goatskin.
    • Moulton Hill. Residence of Henry W. Moulton, Newburyport, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Henry W. Moulton of Newburyport had hoped to continue his studies, fostering his love for literature and the arts. Due to poor health, however, he was unable to fulfill this wish. Instead he travelled through Central America and California for a year. While in California he met many Chinese immigrants with whom he built lasting friendships. These friendships also inspired a lifelong interest in China. Moulton went to Newburyport at the age of twenty and started a paint and drug business that did very well. When the Civil War broke out he served in the 32nd Massachusetts Infantry. After the war he was appointed United States Marshall of Idaho and lived there for several years before returning to Newburyport where he began in the real estate business. He tried to establish a carriage manufacturing factory and also to have the University of Modern Languages settled in Newburyport, but both ventures failed. He remained in the real estate business for twenty-five years. On 13 May 1896, Moulton died.
    • "Oakhill," Residence of Jacob C. Rogers, Peabody, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      The Jacob C. Rogers house was known for its beautiful gardens, and especially for its big lotus pond, which boasted many varieties of the Egyptian lotus. There was also an expansive lily pond. Some of Samuel McIntire’s most impressive work was in this house. The estate was also known as “Oak Hill,” a name which was derived from the enormous oak that stood at the entrance to the property.
    • Parochial School for Boys. Convent. Parochial School for Girls. Parochial Residence. Rev. A.J. Teeling, Pastor.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      When Rev. Arthur J. Teeling began as the pastor of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, one of his initial goals was to build a parochial school. In 1873 he bought the site of the Female High School, which was at the corner of Washington and Court Streets, in hopes that it would become the building for the parochial school. In July of 1873 more Court Street property (the First Christian Baptist Church) was purchased by a church member, Elder Pike. In July of 1878 Teeling bought a residence on Court Street. In November of that same year he announced to his parishioners that within a year they would have a Catholic school. The residence was moved further down Court Street and expanded to create a convent for the nuns who would teach at the new school. The property that Elder Pike had bought was expanded and turned into the Parochial School for Girls. The part of the building that faced Washington Street became the Parochial School for Boys. The Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Kentucky came to Newburyport at the request of Rev. Teeling to teach in the schools. The school itself had ten classrooms equipped with new desks, chairs, and blackboards. Five of the rooms were for the boys, and five were for the girls. Six hundred could fit into the first floor hall of the building. The school opened officially on 4 September 1882 with 520 students, 420 of whom had transferred from surrounding public schools. This had an adverse impact on the public schools of the town. Due to the large exodus of students from public to parochial schools, three of the public schools reported in October 1882 they would shut down. Two years after the school had opened there were seven hundred students enrolled and fifteen teachers. Several years before the school opened, a new policy had been implemented in the Catholic Church that allowed priests to withhold sacraments from parents who did not send their children to Catholic schools. This policy lasted into the 1890s, which meant that the Immaculate Conception Parochial School was guaranteed to have a large student body for the years that the policy was in place. In 1945 the Immaculate Conception Parochial School burned down. The fire also destroyed the steeple of the parish church. The fire occurred after school had been let out for the day, so there were only 50 people (children and nuns) left in the building. Those children were attending confirmation and music classes.
    • Pevear & Co's Morocco Factories, Salesroom 83 High St., Boston. Lynn, Mass. Established 1847.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Henry Augustus Pevear, born on 12 September 1828, was a leader in the morocco manufacturing business. Pevear and his brother George were manufacturing morocco from an early age; Henry was nineteen when he started with the business. Originally based in Lynn, their business became so successful that they took an office in Boston and eventually opened both a manufacturing house and a store in Peru. After a long and financially rewarding career in morocco manufacturing, Pevear retired from the business, only to devote his time to a new business endeavor: the electric light. For the next decade, Pevear was the president of the Electric Light Company of Lynn, which he grew into a powerful company. When he eventually retired from this business, he had merged it with the Edison Standard Electric Company, creating the industrial giant, General Electric. After his official retirement, Pevear focused on humanitarian work. He worked with a group of men to found the Stetson Home for boys. He also gave his summer home to the Boston Baptist Social Union to use as the Mary Anna Home, a place for “weary mothers and their children.” Pevear died in 1909.
    • Pinder & Winchester's Tannery, Peabody Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Pinder & Winchester was a tannery started by John Pinder and George J. Winchester. They opened in 1867 and did well until a fire destroyed their factory. After the fire, John Pinder retired from the business.
    • Pine Lodge and Spring Brook Cottage. Property of E.F. Searls, Methuen, Mass.

      Born in Methuen, Massachusetts in 1841, Edward F. Searles was an architectural designer who made a name for himself when Herter Bros. sent him to San Francisco to help Mary Hopkins, a famously wealthy widow, complete her Nob Hill mansion. Mary Hopkins and Edward Searles soon developed a more intimate relationship. Though their romance received much scrutiny from San Francisco high society (not least of all for the twenty-two year age difference between them), they were married in 1887. Mary and her first husband had no children of their own, but Mary had adopted Timothy Nolan, the adult son of her housekeeper, who changed his last name to reflect his new parentage. Shortly after her marriage to Edward, Mary altered her will to exclude Timothy and left her enormous fortune to her new husband. They removed to the East Coast where Edward began building mansions. Mary died after a mere four years of marriage. Her death led to a fierce and public legal battle between Timothy Hopkins and Edward Searles over her estate. The court case, closely followed by the media, involved claims of conspiracies, forgery, spiritual exploitation, and overall manipulation. The West Coast newspapers sided with Hopkins while the East Coast papers firmly stood by Searles. The court eventually ruled in favor of Searles, although Hopkins did receive a multi-million dollar settlement. A close friend of both Mary and Edward who had been involved in the case, General Thomas Hubbard, suggested that Searles leave a lasting testament of his love for Mary by paying for a new science building at Bowdoin College. Searles, who had admitted in court that he had married Mary “partly out of affection and partly for her money” immediately funded the project, and the resulting facility became known as the Searles Science Building. After the trial Edward Searles became largely reclusive. He did, however, continue to build mansions until he died. When he died in 1920, his estate was bonded in Massachusetts for $45,000,000. One of his creations, Searles Castle in Windham, N.H., is currently the Presentation of Mary Academy.
    • Property of John Smith Andover Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Born in Brechin, Scotland in 1802, John Smith began working on farms and in mills to help his family after the death of his father in 1810. Smith left Scotland for America, arriving in Boston when he was fourteen years old. He worked as a machinist in Watertown. When he was seventeen he left Watertown to travel the country for a year before finally settling in Medway, Massachusetts where he once again worked as a machinist. Smith founded a machine company in Plymouth with Joseph Faulkner and Warren Richardson. The three men relocated the company to Andover in 1824 because of the water power there. By 1829 both Faulkner and Richardson were dead. Smith’s younger brother, Peter, sailed from Scotland to join him in America. Peter brought along a friend, John Dove, and when they arrived in Andover they partnered with Smith in his machinery business. They eventually abandoned the machinery in favor of flax yarn. They all became wealthy men and were liberal with their money. Smith donated to Phillips Academy, Abbott Academy, and established Memorial Hall Library. While travelling in the South, Smith witnessed slaves being sold and the experience prompted him to become a staunch abolitionist. His anti-slavery beliefs led him to found the Free Christian Church.
    • Residence of A. Webster, Topsfield, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Albert Webster was born in Ipswich on 16 March 1824. Both of his parents died when he was still very young, and so at age seven he was bound out at Topsfield. He remained in Topsfield for seven years before running away at age fourteen, apparently having been treated cruelly. He made his way to Boston where he began working at a candy store. By the time he was twenty, he had purchased the business at which he had been working. In 1861 he moved the store to a new location and established himself as the first exclusive confectioner. In addition to being a candy entrepreneur, Webster was also a member of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company from the age of twenty-two until his death, and a thirty-second degree Mason in the Massachusetts Consistory. After retiring from the candy business in 1890, Webster lived out the last twelve years of his life at his farm in Topsfield with his family. He had three daughters and one son with his first wife, Catherine Falvey. His son was engaged to Una Hawthorne, daughter of Nathaniel Hawthorne. Before they could be married, however, the younger Webster drowned in Honolulu.
    • Residence of A.A. Abbott. Washington St., Cor., Main St,; Peabody, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Alfred Amos Abbott was born in Andover on 30 May 1820 and attended Phillips Andover Academy. After graduating, he attended Yale, then Union College. He continued on to the Dane Law School at Cambridge, finally finishing his law studies in the office of Joshua Holyoke Ward. He moved to and began practicing law in Peabody, where he remained until his death. He held a variety of jobs in the legal field throughout his life. He represented Essex County in the senate in 1853, whereupon, having been appointed district attorney for the Eastern District he took that job and remained there until 1869. Following that position he was appointed the clerk of the courts, an office that he held until his death. He was respected as a lawyer but was also known to be a man of culture and knowledge beyond law. William D. Northend, president of the Essex Bar Association in the Superior Court at Salem said this of Mr. Abbott, “He read the best books and was a thorough student of English literature.” Abbott died on 27 October 1884.