• Residence of A.A. Abbott. Washington St., Cor., Main St,; Peabody, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Alfred Amos Abbott was born in Andover on 30 May 1820 and attended Phillips Andover Academy. After graduating, he attended Yale, then Union College. He continued on to the Dane Law School at Cambridge, finally finishing his law studies in the office of Joshua Holyoke Ward. He moved to and began practicing law in Peabody, where he remained until his death. He held a variety of jobs in the legal field throughout his life. He represented Essex County in the senate in 1853, whereupon, having been appointed district attorney for the Eastern District he took that job and remained there until 1869. Following that position he was appointed the clerk of the courts, an office that he held until his death. He was respected as a lawyer but was also known to be a man of culture and knowledge beyond law. William D. Northend, president of the Essex Bar Association in the Superior Court at Salem said this of Mr. Abbott, “He read the best books and was a thorough student of English literature.” Abbott died on 27 October 1884.
    • Residence of Wm. Blaney. Stevens St., Peabody, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      William Blaney, a master painter, was born in Lynn on 17 December 1834 to Philip and Mary Blaney. Philip was also a painter, and William started in the business when he was still a boy. He moved to Peabody and established himself there as a painter as well as a leader in town affairs, although he never held an official position. One night, at the age of seventy-nine, Blaney was walking through Peabody by the Soldiers’ Monument when he was struck by a car. The driver of the car, H.J. Pushard, took Blaney to the hospital where they thought he had sustained only minor injuries. In fact, his skull had been fractured, and he died the following afternoon, 15 November 1913.
    • "Oakhill," Residence of Jacob C. Rogers, Peabody, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      The Jacob C. Rogers house was known for its beautiful gardens, and especially for its big lotus pond, which boasted many varieties of the Egyptian lotus. There was also an expansive lily pond. Some of Samuel McIntire’s most impressive work was in this house. The estate was also known as “Oak Hill,” a name which was derived from the enormous oak that stood at the entrance to the property.
    • Andover Theological Seminary, Andover Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      On same sheet as Phillips Academy Buildings. The Andover Theological Seminary: Rev. Dr. Spring of Newburyport and Dr. Hopkins of Salem developed a plan to open a theological seminary around the same time as Phoebe Phillips, Hon. John Phillips, and Samuel Abbot had begun their plans to do the same in Andover. When they realized this, the two groups made the decision (after much discussion and uncertainty) to join their efforts and make one seminary. They reasoned that one school would be more practical than two rival schools, but the next roadblock was how to teach both Hopkinsian and Calvinistic doctrines at the seminary. It took nine months of negotiations with Dr. Eliphalet Pearson as moderator, but finally everyone arrived at a compromise and the seminary went forward. Dr. Spring found several people willing to donate money to the Andover Theological Seminary. Mr. and Mrs. John Norris gave $40,000, Mr. Moses Brown gave $35,000, and Mr. William Bartlet gave a total of $160,000. The three partners of Smith, Dove & Company (John and Peter Smith, and John Dove) donated $60,000 for a library to be built. It was called Brechin Hall, after the donors’ hometown in Scotland. Brechin Hall housed thirty-seven thousand books, in addition to its religious periodicals. It was also home to a number of curiosities gathered by missionaries who traveled abroad. Included in this collection were religious items from people who the missionaries considered to be “heathens.” Phillips Academy: Phillips Academy was founded in 1778 by Samuel Phillips, Jr. and opened with thirteen students. The prestige of the school grew, attracting students such as Howell Lewis, the nephew of George Washington and Samuel F.B. Morse, the inventor of the telegraph and Morse Code. In 1808 the Andover Theological Seminary was founded next to Phillips Academy. In 1828 it was decided in the town of Andover that a school would be built for girls so that they could receive an education like their brothers. It was called Abbot Academy and the first class had seventy students. After the Andover Theological Seminary moved to Cambridge in 1908, Phillips Academy bought the buildings and land that the seminary had occupied and absorbed them into its campus. In 1973, Phillips Academy and Abbot Academy merged to become a coeducational school.
    • State Normal School. Salem, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Horace Mann believed that the American public school system needed serious attention in order to function well. One of the biggest problems Mann observed with the public schools was that the teachers were often no more educated than their pupils. And so the Salem Normal School was born, a place to teach young women how to teach. The school opened in 1854. Demand for teachers increased nationwide and demand for admission to the Salem Normal School increased as a result. The campus, in addition to the student body, began to expand. In 1898, the school became coeducational, but it wasn’t until the creation of a commercial program in 1908 that male enrollment started to spike. By 1921 the school had switched from a two year college to a four year college, and just eleven years later the name was changed from the Salem Normal School to Salem Teachers College. New programs were added, new buildings were constructed, and finally it became a residential school, with the first residence halls opening in 1966. It was renamed again in 1968, this time to Salem State College. As nursing and business administration programs were added, new property was purchased, and the college expanded to include four campuses. In 2010 the school was renamed once more, earning the title of Salem State University.
    • Residence of G.W.W. Dove. Andover, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      George William Webster Dove was the son of John Dove, who co-founded the Smith & Dove Mfg. Co. Dove attended Phillips Academy and the Lawrence Scientific School at Harvard. When the Civil War began, he helped organize a local regiment. He enlisted in the Navy where he was a Third Assistant Engineer on the U.S.S. Richmond. After the war ended, he returned home to help run the family business. Dove was involved in the finances of several Boston trading firms. In 1889, one of these firms (the Pacific Guano Company) failed due in part to purported fraud by J.M. Glidden, who was likely Dove's brother-in-law. This scandal prompted Dove to retire, but his removal from the business world was far from relaxing. During the summer of 1894, he went on an expedition to Greenland, which went so awry that a ship was lost and the entire group had to return to Massachusetts on a fishing schooner. Dove and his wife, Susan C. Glidden, had four children. He died in Andover at the age of 73.
    • Residence of J. T. Wilson, Nahant, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Joseph T. Wilson was well known as a building contractor who constructed some of the finest mansions on the North Shore, including that of Henry Clay Frick at Prides Crossing. However, Wilson was more than a builder. Originally from Maine, Wilson eventually made Nahant his home, holding more public office positions than seemed humanly possible. He was the chairman of the school board for twenty years, a trustee of the public library for twenty-five years, and a well respected judge. He was a member of the boards of selectmen, assessors, and health for thirty years and chaired those boards for 29 of those years. Supposedly he was up for election to public office more than a hundred times and was never defeated, all the while never soliciting votes for himself. It was long rumored that he was instrumental in securing the party nomination and ultimate Senate victory for Henry Cabot Lodge, a longtime friend of Wilson’s. Wilson was a 33rd degree Mason. He and his wife, Sophlia, who was also from Maine, had three children. His son entered into the contracting business and became a partner of the company which was renamed J.T. Wilson & Son.
    • Smith & Dove Mfg. Co., Andover Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Founded by John and Peter Smith and John Dove, all from Brechin, Scotland, Smith & Dove Mfg. Co. dealt primarily in flax yarn. John Smith first came to America when he was fourteen in 1816. Years later, he asked his younger brother Peter to join him. Peter brought along a friend, John Dove. Both John Dove and Peter had worked in the flax mill of Dove’s father back in Scotland so they brought with them knowledge about, and zeal for, flax products. Although initially people were reluctant to buy a newer product from such a new company, the integrity, fine product, and pleasant dispositions of the three founders won the public over. The business began in Frye Village in Andover, but was then moved to Abbot Village in the same town.
    • Church of the Immaculate Conception, Rev. A.J. Teeling, Pastor. Newburyport, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Arthur J. Teeling was born in Dublin in 1844 and came to this country when he was three years old. He lived in the Boston area and in 1864 decided to enter into the Catholic priesthood. He entered the Provincial Seminary in Troy, New York. In the time between being ordained and being assigned to the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Newburyport, Teeling sailed to Liverpool and spent the next six months travelling through Europe, Egypt, and the Holy Land. In Rome he met with Pope Leo XIII who bestowed his blessing upon the Church of the Immaculate Conception through Teeling. In the days before an official church was established, Catholics in Newburyport would gather at one person’s home and priests from other towns would conduct Mass there. As the number of Catholics in Newburyport grew, the need for a chapel became more urgent. Property was purchased but the congregation continued to multiply, and the chapel was outgrown. Finally, in 1852, a brand new church was erected to accommodate the sizeable congregation. A rectory was purchased shortly after the dedication of the new church. But by the time the well-respected priest who was largely responsible for these expansions, Father Lennon, passed away in 1871, the Church of the Immaculate Conception was $9,000 in debt and still did not have a Catholic cemetery. The rectory had passed out of the church’s hands, as had most of the property that they had owned and on which they had worshipped. This is what faced Father Teeling when he finally arrived in Newburyport. He was left to pick up the pieces, and he rose to the challenge. He paid off the church’s debt. In 1872 he bought back the parochial residence that had been used by Father Lennon. He had a spire built on the church in 1874. In April 1874 he bought land on Storey Avenue for a Catholic cemetery. He bought property on which he had built a parochial school for boys and girls, and a convent for the nuns who taught at the school. The school opened in 1882. He was known for his excellent counsel to his parishioners in spiritual, personal, financial, and other aspects of their lives. As a priest, Arthur J. Teeling was considered to be wildly successful and garnered much praise.
    • Pinder & Winchester's Tannery, Peabody Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Pinder & Winchester was a tannery started by John Pinder and George J. Winchester. They opened in 1867 and did well until a fire destroyed their factory. After the fire, John Pinder retired from the business.
    • Residence of Mrs. Eliza Sutton. Main St., Peabody, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Eliza Dustin Sutton of Peabody believed strongly in using her wealth to help others. She established the Charitable Tenement Association, which provided housing for poor, elderly women in Peabody. It still stands today as the Sutton Home for Women. She donated $20,000 to the Peabody Institute to build the Eben Dale Sutton Reference room, named for her son, who had suffered from a variety of maladies and died at age fourteen. The Eben Dale Sutton Reference Room has recently been restored and it continues to house the archives for the Peabody Institute Library. George Peabody was a good friend and stayed with Eliza and her husband when he returned to visit Peabody in 1856, 1857, and 1866.
    • Stevens Block, Lynn Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
    • Pevear & Co's Morocco Factories, Salesroom 83 High St., Boston. Lynn, Mass. Established 1847.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Henry Augustus Pevear, born on 12 September 1828, was a leader in the morocco manufacturing business. Pevear and his brother George were manufacturing morocco from an early age; Henry was nineteen when he started with the business. Originally based in Lynn, their business became so successful that they took an office in Boston and eventually opened both a manufacturing house and a store in Peru. After a long and financially rewarding career in morocco manufacturing, Pevear retired from the business, only to devote his time to a new business endeavor: the electric light. For the next decade, Pevear was the president of the Electric Light Company of Lynn, which he grew into a powerful company. When he eventually retired from this business, he had merged it with the Edison Standard Electric Company, creating the industrial giant, General Electric. After his official retirement, Pevear focused on humanitarian work. He worked with a group of men to found the Stetson Home for boys. He also gave his summer home to the Boston Baptist Social Union to use as the Mary Anna Home, a place for “weary mothers and their children.” Pevear died in 1909.
    • Property of John Smith Andover Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Born in Brechin, Scotland in 1802, John Smith began working on farms and in mills to help his family after the death of his father in 1810. Smith left Scotland for America, arriving in Boston when he was fourteen years old. He worked as a machinist in Watertown. When he was seventeen he left Watertown to travel the country for a year before finally settling in Medway, Massachusetts where he once again worked as a machinist. Smith founded a machine company in Plymouth with Joseph Faulkner and Warren Richardson. The three men relocated the company to Andover in 1824 because of the water power there. By 1829 both Faulkner and Richardson were dead. Smith’s younger brother, Peter, sailed from Scotland to join him in America. Peter brought along a friend, John Dove, and when they arrived in Andover they partnered with Smith in his machinery business. They eventually abandoned the machinery in favor of flax yarn. They all became wealthy men and were liberal with their money. Smith donated to Phillips Academy, Abbott Academy, and established Memorial Hall Library. While travelling in the South, Smith witnessed slaves being sold and the experience prompted him to become a staunch abolitionist. His anti-slavery beliefs led him to found the Free Christian Church.
    • Residence of Francis H. Appleton, Peabody, Mass.

      1884-01-01
      Francis H. Appleton was born on 17 June 1847 to a family heavily involved in government, both of his grandfathers having been members of Congress. Appleton attended preparatory schools and studied with a private tutor in order to prepare him for college. He graduated from Harvard in 1869 and went on to attend the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, but remained there for only a short time. After leaving M.I.T. Appleton decided that he would try his hand at farming, a decision made largely in hopes of improving his poor health by means of fresh air. In 1871 Harvard opened the Agricultural Department, and so, desiring formal training in his latest pursuit, Appleton enrolled as a student in the Bussey Institute. While studying at the Bussey Institute, he also bought an estate in Peabody where he was able to put his training to practical use. Appleton chose farming as his primary occupation, although he had financial interests in many other enterprises and managed his investments by himself. He served as director, president, trustee, secretary, librarian, etc. for countless institutions and also held memberships at an astounding number of clubs.
    • Residence of J.E. Spring, Corner of Sumner St. & Spring Ave., Danvers, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Jacob E. Spring, a native of Maine, was born in 1833. At the age of twelve he moved to Buenos Aires where his family was raising sheep. They would ship hides back to the United States, and in exchange, relatives would ship lumber down to Argentina. While in Buenos Aires, Spring met and married a young woman from Pennsylvania; they had seven children. In 1872 he bought property in Danvers, Massachusetts and moved his entire family there with the exception of his two eldest daughters, who were in school in Germany. He eventually built Porphyry Hall, a magnificent stone mansion made of over forty different types of stone in a range of colors. This effect proved impressive. Spring was a successful wool merchant, but it is thought that he lost his fortune when some of his ships were wrecked off the coast of South America. The Xaverian Brothers bought Porphyry Hall where they founded St. John’s Normal College, which became St. John’s Preparatory School in 1907. The school has since expanded, adding many buildings to the campus, but Porphyry Hall remains standing and is used as the Administration Building.
    • Residence of George Peabody, Washington Sq. Salem.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      George Peabody was a financier and a philanthropist who donated millions of dollars to charity. He was known throughout the world for his generosity and modesty. He was born in Peabody, Massachusetts, and even after he moved away from there, he continued to give money so freely to his hometown that a group of Peabody citizens held a banquet on the eve of his birthday each year. He lived for many years in England, where his philanthropy continued. He was the American darling of the British. Queen Victoria was fond of him and gave him a portrait of herself. He died in England and, though he had made it clear he wanted to be buried in Peabody, he was still given a funeral service in England at Westminster Abbey. His body was then sailed home where it was met with great reverence. Throngs of people came to see the casket, numbering in the tens of thousands. He was buried at a plot he had picked out, in a tomb where he had already laid his mother to rest.
    • Residence of C. H. Bond, Cliftondale, Mass.

      Geo. H. Walker & Co. (1884-01-01)
      Charles Henry Bond, born in Saugus in 1846, made his fortune as the president of Waitt & Bond, Inc., a cigar manufacturing company. Once he had amassed a sizeable fortune, Bond became less interested in cigars and devoted more of his time to his one true passion: music. He sought out poor but talented singers and would fund their European training, even giving them monthly living stipends. Bond invested in the construction of what was to be the Lyric Theatre in Boston. Unfortunately Bond took a financial hit after the Panic of 1907. He tried to ignore the trouble and continued to accrue debt in order to keep funding the Lyric Theatre project. In May of 1908, Bond was kicked off of the project. In July of the same year he was found dead in his bathtub. He left a signed note that read, “I have been killed by my friends and enemies. It is more than I can bear. I can stand it no longer. My heart is broken. I leave everything to my wife.” The Lyric Theatre project was bought by the Shubert Organization, which opened it under the name the Shubert Theatre in 1910.