The College Catalog collection currently consists of catalogs from the Salem Normal School and Salem Teachers College, 1856-1960.

The Salem Normal School opened its doors in 1854. It was the fourth state-supported school for the training of teachers in the Commonwealth. The first extant catalog dates to 1856. The early catalogs focus on students and faculty and list students in each class by name and hometown. As the catalogs progress, they are more descriptive of the school, its resources, and curricula.

The normal school became the Salem Teachers College in 1932. The college offered the B.S. in Education with four courses of study: Elementary, Commercial, Junior High and Special Education. Salem Teachers College often had gaps between publication of the catalogs.

Recent Submissions

View more