• [17 Warren Street.]

      1870-01-01
      SV017 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the (extant) house of Walter A. Kezar at 17 Warren Street, looking toward the entrance from the street. Creator unknown, c. 1860-80s.
    • [2-4 Briggs Street.]

      Lefavour, J.S. (1878-01-01)
      SV027 — Nelson Dionne Collection. From right to left, view of the (extant) houses at 2 and 4 Briggs Street looking to the northeast from Pleasant Street (now part of Washington Square East). Published by J.S. Lefavour, Salem, Mass., c. 1878-92.
    • [24-28 Church Street.]

      J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
      SV014 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the (non-extant) house at 24-28 Church Street. Partly visible in the background, to the left of the house, is the adjacent Church Street firehouse. Published by photographers J.W. & J.S. Moulton at 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., in "American Views," c. 1873-76. According to Nirenstein's map of Salem's business section, by 1946 the house had been demolished to make way for an Almy's parking lot; the rest of Church Street's homes would soon succumb to a similar fate. View is duplicate of SV013.
    • [24-28 Church Street.]

      J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
      SV013 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the (non-extant) house at 24-28 Church Street. Partly visible in the background, to the left of the house, is the adjacent Church Street firehouse. Published by photographers J.W. & J.S. Moulton at 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., in "American Views," c. 1873-76. According to Nirenstein's map of Salem's business section, by 1946 the house had been demolished to make way for an Almy's parking lot; the rest of Church Street's homes would soon succumb to a similar fate. View is duplicate of SV014.
    • [331-333 Essex Street.]

      1870-01-01
      SV075 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the (extant) house at 331-333 Essex Street. Creator unknown, c. 1870.
    • [A Group at Willows.]

      Peabody, Edwin N. (1876-01-01)
      SV398 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of a group posed at the site of the Salem Willows on Salem Neck, Salem, Mass. According to what is written on the beck, the leftmost four men are, from left to right: Eben N. Walton, Albert G. Browne, William M. Hill (then City Marshal), and E.C. Battis. On the extreme right is John Battis. Published by Edwin N. Peabody, Salem, Mass, 1876.
    • [A Lafayette St. Home.]

      J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
      SV084 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of an unidentified house possibly on Lafayette Street. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1874-76.
    • [Alfred Peabody House]

      Peabody, Edwin N. (1878-01-01)
      SV034 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the (non-extant) Alfred Peabody House at 45 Summer Street. Published by photographer Edwin N. Peabody, c. 1876-94. Edwin was Alfred Peabody's son, and lived in the depicted house until about 1890. The house was taken down during the construction of Salem Post Office in the 1930s, when Gedney Cut was widened into Gedney Street. On the back, the card is labeled with the name of "Mary Ellen Perley" and "no. 44." It is also labeled as "from cousin Edwin," very likely referring to the photographer.
    • [Asiatic Block from Townhouse Square.]

      1868-01-01
      SV044 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View from Townhouse Square of the Asiatic Block at 125 Washington Street, which at the time was home to the Post Office, Salem Savings Bank, and the Odd Fellows Hall. Visible to the left of the Asiatic Block is the First Church building. View is the same as SV043, published by Charles W. Stiff, 1868.
    • [Asiatic Block on Washington Street.]

      1865-01-01
      SV045 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Asiatic Block at 125 Washington Street, visible on the left, in a view down Washington Street. Creator unknown, c. 1865-70s.
    • [Atlantic House.]

      Perkins & Lefavour (1878-01-01)
      SV405 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Atlantic House, a hotel on Juniper Point, Salem Neck, Salem, Mass. Published by Perkins & Lefavour, 238 Essex St., Salem, Mass., c. 1878. The building, located at the corner of Cheval Ave. and today's Bayview Ave. (the section then called Harborview Ave.), is non-extant.
    • [Bald Hill School.]

      Perkins & Lefavour (1878-01-01)
      SV270 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Bald Hill School (built in 1870), located within the Centerville neighborhood of Beverly, Mass., with the student body posed in front. Published by Perkins & Lefavour, 238 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1878-92.
    • [Barry & Lufkin Steam Printing Office.]

      Lefavour, J.S. (1893-01-01)
      SV330 — Nelson Dionne Collection. Street view of Barry & Lufkin steam printing office at 159 Essex Street (building non-extant). The two men in the photo, at the door of the shop, are likely the owners Michael C. Barry and Olvin H. Lufkin. Published by J.S. Lefavour, Salem, Mass, c. 1893.
    • Bass River and Eastern R.R. Bridge.

      G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith (1866-01-01)
      SV419 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View from the Essex Bridge (Beverly Bridge) looking northwest from Salem, Mass., with "Salem Water Works in the foreground." A boy is visible sitting on the covered pipes. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, Salem, Mass., c. 1866-74.
    • Beach at Hospital Point, Salem Neck.

      G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith; J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1874-01-01)
      SV425 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking west toward what would become the Willows Beach on old Hospital Point, Salem Neck. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, "booksellers and stationers," at 243 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., in "Views of Salem, Mass. and Vicinity," and by photographers J.W. & J.S. Moulton, at 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1873-74.
    • [Becket Court?]

      1860-01-01
      SV-041 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View up what possibly may be Becket Court, which is now Becket Avenue, looking from Derby Street. The homes in view would be non-extant. Creator unknown, c. 1860s-70s.
    • Bentley School.

      Stiff, Charles W. (1868-01-01)
      SV264 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View from down Bentley Street of the Bentley Primary School at 50 Essex Street. Published by Charles W. Stiff, Danvers, Mass., 1868. Built 1860-61, with multiple floors, a mansard roof, rooster weather vane, bell, and a cupola, the Bentley School served in its role as primary school for about a century until being replaced in the early 1960s. The top two floors were taken off, and it then became a branch of the Salem Public Library as the Gardner Maynard Jones Memorial Library. Today, it is now home to condominiums.
    • [Bentley School.]

      Lefavour, J.S. (1878-01-01)
      SV263 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of an unknown class of schoolchildren at the old Bentley Primary School on Essex Street (located at the address of 50 Essex St.). Published by J.S. Lefavour, Salem, Mass., c. 1878-80s. Built 1860-61, with multiple floors, a mansard roof, rooster weather vane, bell, and a cupola, the Bentley School served in its role as primary school for about a century until being replaced in the early 1960s. The top two floors were taken off, and it then became a branch of the Salem Public Library as the Gardner Maynard Jones Memorial Library. Today, the building is now home to condominiums.
    • Beverly Bridge.

      Guy & Bros.; Cook & Friend (1872-01-01)
      SV430 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of a man, back turned to the camera, looking toward the Beverly Bridge (also known as the Essex Bridge) form Salem, Mass., to Beverly. Published "expressly for" Guy & Bros. at 163 Essex Street, c. 1872. Photographed by Cook & Friend.
    • Beverly Bridge.

      Proctor, G.K. (1869-01-01)
      SV434 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking north from Salem toward the Beverly Bridge, also known as the Essex Bridge, from Salem to Beverly. Published by photographer G.K. Proctor at 206 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1869-74.