• [Witch House.]

      1856-01-01
      SV182 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the back entrance to the Witch House, located at the corners of North and Essex Streets in Salem, Mass. Seen in disrepair here, this view is likely from not long before 1856, when George Farrington purchased the property from the Corwin family. Creator unknown/unidentified.
    • [Becket Court?]

      1860-01-01
      SV-041 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View up what possibly may be Becket Court, which is now Becket Avenue, looking from Derby Street. The homes in view would be non-extant. Creator unknown, c. 1860s-70s.
    • [Roger Williams Church.]

      1860-01-01
      SV228 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View to the northeast of the Roger Williams Church (later known as the Quaker Meeting House), located behind Plummer Hall on the grounds of the Essex Institute, taken from the (non-extant) residence at 136 Essex Street. The wall of Plummer Hall is visible to the right. In the background, to the upper left, the Andrew-Safford House is in view along with the spires of the East Church building. Creator unidentified, c. 1860s-1870s.
    • ["Camp Life: The Card Players"]

      1862-01-01
      SV369 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of a sculpture dubbed "Camp Life: The Card Players," a selected "Rogers Group" created by Salem-born sculptor John Rogers. Creator/publisher unidentified, c. 1862.
    • [Railroad Bridge to Beverly.]

      Perkins, E.R. (1865-01-01)
      SV420 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking north toward the Eastern Railroad Bridge from Salem, Mass., to Beverly, taken from the Salem side. Circa 1865-78. Published by E.R. Perkins at 238 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1865-78.
    • [Upper Briggs Street.]

      1865-01-01
      SV028 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of upper Briggs Street, looking northeast toward the (extant) homes at 15, 17, 19, and 23 Briggs Street (now 23, 25, 27, and 33 Briggs Street due to street renumbering) with a group of boys on the street, and a wagon further down on the street, visible. Creator unknown, c. 1865.
    • [Asiatic Block on Washington Street.]

      1865-01-01
      SV045 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Asiatic Block at 125 Washington Street, visible on the left, in a view down Washington Street. Creator unknown, c. 1865-70s.
    • Essex Bridge, and Part of Salem Water Works.

      G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith (1866-01-01)
      SV422 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Essex Bridge looking north, with part of the "Salem Water Works" visible in the foreground. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, Salem, Mass., c. 1866-74.
    • Bass River and Eastern R.R. Bridge.

      G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith (1866-01-01)
      SV419 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View from the Essex Bridge (Beverly Bridge) looking northwest from Salem, Mass., with "Salem Water Works in the foreground." A boy is visible sitting on the covered pipes. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, Salem, Mass., c. 1866-74.
    • [Unidentified Group at Overlook.]

      Moulton, John S. (1866-01-01)
      SV341 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of an unidentified group at an unidentified overlook on a hill, with town buildings and houses visible in the background. Published by John S. Moulton, Salem, Mass., c. 1872.
    • St. Peter's Church, St. Peter's Street, Salem.

      G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith (1866-01-01)
      SV237 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View to the north toward St. Peter's Church on "St. Peter's Street" (St Peter Street), Salem, Mass. Taken from the [non-extant] section of St Peter Street south of Church Street leading to Essex Street. A man is visible on the sidewalk at the corner of Church and St Peter. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, Salem, Mass., c. 1866-74.
    • East Church from Washington Square, Salem.

      G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith (1866-01-01)
      SV197 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the East Church (built between 1844 and 1846) on Brown Street (now part of North Washington Square) in Salem, Mass., from Salem Common. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, Salem, Mass., c. 1866-74. Today, the building serves as home to the Salem Witch Museum.
    • Custom House.

      D.B. Brooks & Bro.; Cook & Friend (1866-01-01)
      SV128 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the front of the Custom House on Derby Street. Published "expressly for" D.B. Brooks & Bro., 201 Essex Street., Salem, Mass., by photographers Cook & Friend, c. 1866-69.
    • [Cressy & Wallis Shoe Manufacturers.]

      1867-01-01
      SV375 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Cressy & Wallis Shoe Manufacturers at the corner of Park and Box Street in Beverly, Mass. Three men are visible atop horse carts in front of the building. Creator/publisher unknown, c. 1875.
    • [Cabot Street at Railroad Ave.]

      Beckford, Charles A. (1868-01-01)
      SV086 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View, looking to the southwest, featuring the mercantile store of S.D. Herrick at the corner of Cabot Street and Railroad Avenue in Beverly, Mass. Published by Charles A. Beckford, 141 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1868-70. Out of three buildings in view, the two buildings on the right (including the one housing S.D. Herrick's store) are non-extant; the one on the left remains standing at 106 Cabot St.
    • Heaven and Hell.

      Stiff, Charles W. (1868-01-01)
      SV372 — Nelson Dionne Collection. Partial view of the carving titled "Heaven and the Day of Judgement," also known simply as "Heaven and Hell," an object in the Peabody Academy of Science's museum collection at the East India Marine Hall. This view is focused on the lower hemisphere, a representation of Hell, and a detailed description of this section of the carving is provided on the back side: "The other [this] hemisphere represents Hell, and contains fifty-two figures. 'The Savior of the world, firmly seated upon an extended arch representing the vault of heaven, is here seen in the character of the judge of mankind. A stream of light descends upon him from above, and a glory encircles his head. The action of his hands indicates the awful duty he is fulfilling four angels in front, and contagious to him, support the symbols of his passion—the pillar, the cross, the spear, and the sponge: while two others behind him, and two near the circumference, are sounding his praises upon instruments of music.—These are all the winged figures in the lower hemisphere. "On the right of the Redeemer are five female figures kneeling in adoration; the most prominent of these is the Virgin, who is crowned as before . The same number of male figures (one of them is crowned) are observed kneeling, and occupying a corresponding place on the left hand. "The inferior portion of this hemisphere presents a most appalling scene. Here we behold the resurrection of the dead, and the punishments the wicked—and the terrific images of Dante are here embodied. "In the distance, numerous figures, and among them owned heads and bishops, are perceived rising from their graves—while in the foreground, the flames of purgatory envelop the damned, and the gates of hell are yawning for the reception of the victims. Death and Sin (the latter typified by the serpent) and placed just within the gates, and (by an incongruity not uncommon) a Dog, which is probably intended for Cerberus, guards the entrance of the dread abode; and grim-visaged demons are seen every here busily employed in dragging the impenitent to their places of torment. Some unhappy beings are already in the flames—while others are hurried along by their remorseless conductors, to be cast into the region of despair. The forked tongue of one of the demons has transfixed the body of a youthful victim; while another is observed seizing one of the condemned by the hair of his head, the flesh of which, notwithstanding the extreme minuteness of the figure, naturally seems to be in a state of tension. All here is, indeed, equally terrible, and all equally well imagined. "The following inscription is round the margin: "Rise ye dead, come to judgeement—come ye blessed and depart ye cursed." Photographed and published by Charles W. Stiff, Danvers, Mass., 1868. The object was donated in 1806 by General Elias Haskett Derby. According to the Peabody Museum in 1921: "This is undoubtedly the most widely known single object in the museum and for one hundred years the only object of this sort in any museum in the country; it has always been kept with the relics of the E. I. M. Society. These carvings were made in Flanders during the fifteenth or early sixteenth centuries and were intended for the terminal beads of rosaries for the wealthy Roman Catholic nobility. This one is an admirable example of these wonderul box-wood carvings. While it is but two inches in diameter, 109 full-length figures and heads are crowded into the two sections of the ball."
    • Washington Street, near the depot.

      Beckford, Charles A. (1868-01-01)
      SV295 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking south toward the Eastern Railroad depot in Salem, Mass., from Washington Street. A trolley car can be seen to the right while horses and carriages are on the left (along with a sign for Calef's Tea & Coffee Warehouse), and the cobblestones on the street are visible. Published by Charles A. Beckford, 141 Washington Street, c. 1868-70. Built in 1847, the Salem Depot, with a stone facade resembling a medieval castle, stood for over a century before being demolished in 1954-55; at the same time, a new railroad tunnel was built under the site. The site is now occupied by the intersection of Washington and New Derby Street, along with Riley Plaza.
    • St. Peter's Church.

      Beckford, Charles A. (1868-01-01)
      SV235 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View to the east of St. Peter's Church on St Peter Street, Salem, Mass, taken from the [non-extant] house at 7 Church Street. Published by Charles A. Beckford at 141 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., in "Salem and Vicinity," c. 1868-70. View is the same as SV236.
    • St. Peter's Church.

      1868-01-01
      SV236 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View to the east of St. Peters Church on St Peter Street, Salem, Mass., taken from the [non-extant] house at 7 Church Street. On the back an [anonymous] person wrote, "Church of my father and his father after leaving Dr. Bentley at East or 2nd Church Salem" Creator unidentified, c. 1868-70. View is the same as SV236.
    • Methodist Church

      Guy & Bros.; Cook & Friend (1868-01-01)
      SV218 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the South Methodist Church, before a post-1874 renovation, at the corner of Harbor and Lafayette Street in Salem, Mass. Published "expressly for" Guy & Bros. at 163 Essex Street in "Salem and Vicinity," c. 1868-72. Photographed by Cook & Friend. Built in the early 1800s to serve the Methodist population of Salem, the congregation eventually left this building in 1910 for a new building at 296 Lafayette Street. Thereafter, according to the 1911 atlas, the old church served as home to the Franco-American Catholic Association. However, not long after, the wooden structure was completely destroyed in the Great Salem Fire of 1914.