Collections in this community

Recent Submissions

  • View on Salem Common.

    G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith; J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
    SV097 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Salem Common from Newbury Street (today Washington Square West) at the corner of Forrester Street (today South Washington Square). Several people are in view including two at the corner fountain. Published by G.M. Whipple & A.A. Smith, "booksellers and stationers," at 243 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., in "Views of Salem, Mass. and Vicinity" from their "artistic size" 1873 "New Series. Views of Salem Mass." Photographed by J.W. & J.S. Moulton.
  • Salem Common.

    J.W. & J.S Moulton (1873-01-01)
    SV096 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View down a path on the edge of the Salem Common a little south of the Briggs Street entrance, looking to the north and featuring three children posed walking along. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1873-76.
  • Washington Street from City Hall.

    Cousins, Frank; J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1876-01-01)
    SV095 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Washington Street, Salem, Mass., from City Hall, looking south. The buildings featured in the shot (all non-extant), from left to right, are the Holyoke Building, Price Building, Northey Building, William Nourse's confectionary store, and F.S. Peck's clothing store/Salem Conservatory of Music. Published by Frank Cousins, 172 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., as part of "Salem in 1876." Photographed by J.W & J.S. Moulton.
  • [Huborn Block.]

    1882-01-01
    SV094 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of the Huborn Block, a business block located to the left of City Hall on Washington Street, Salem, Mass. Pobaby published by Miller & Best, c. 1882-85. View undoubtedly taken earlier. Replaced by the extant Kinsman Block in 1882.
  • [Washington Street from Essex St.]

    Proctor, G.K. (1870-01-01)
    SV093 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View down Essex Street from Washington Street, with a particular focus on some of the buildings at Town House Square. At left stands the First Church building, which later would became the home of Daniel Low & Company. To the center stands the Holyoke Building, which housed Holyoke Mutual Insurance Company until 1936 when it moved to a new building at Holyoke Square and later housed the locally famous Gerber's Restaurant. To the right of the Holyoke Building stands a building housing Julian A. Fogg & Co. The Price Building replaced it in 1875, and itself was taken down in 1969. The Holyoke Building, meanwhile, was destroyed by the Gerbers fire of January, 1971. The site of both buildings now houses Lappin Park and the Bewitched statue. Published by G.K. Proctor, Salem, Mass., c. 1870.
  • [Town House Square.]

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1870-01-01)
    SV092 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking at a gabled business block at Town House Square on the northwest corner of Washington Street and Essex St. The block was home to businesses such as Joseph S. Rowe's hairdresser shop at 35 Washington St., Moses Sibley's tailor shop at 41 ½ Washington St., and C.S. Buffum's casket store at 43 Washington St. among many others. A sign for F.S. Peck's adjacent clothing store at 234 Essex St. is visible in the background. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1873-76. The gabled block appears to have been gone by 1872, being replaced by the Northey Building which is also non-extant. The 1885-built Endicott Building, in a renovated state, is now present on the site.
  • [Town House Square.]

    Peabody & Tilton (1870-01-01)
    SV090 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking at a gabled business block at Town House Square on the northwest corner of Washington Street and Essex St. The block was home to businesses such as Joseph S. Rowe's hairdresser shop at 35 Washington St., Moses Sibley's tailor shop at 41 ½ Washington St., and C.S. Buffum's casket store at 43 Washington St. among many others. A sign for F.S. Peck's adjacent clothing store at 234 Essex St. is visible in the background. Published by Peabody & Tilton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1874-78. The gabled block appears to have been gone by 1872, being replaced by the Northey Building which is also non-extant. The 1885-built Endicott Building, in a renovated state, is now present on the site.
  • [Town House Square.]

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1870-01-01)
    SV090 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking at a gabled business block at Town House Square on the northwest corner of Washington Street and Essex St. The block was home to businesses such as Joseph S. Rowe's hairdresser shop at 35 Washington St., Moses Sibley's tailor shop at 41 ½ Washington St., and C.S. Buffum's casket store at 43 Washington St. among many others. A sign for F.S. Peck's adjacent clothing store at 234 Essex St. is visible in the background. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1873-76. The gabled block appears to have been gone by 1872, being replaced by the Northey Building which is also non-extant. The 1885-built Endicott Building, in a renovated state, is now present on the site.
  • [Price Building.]

    T.J. Hutchinson & Son (1876-01-01)
    SV444 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View featuring the 1875-built Price Building, then home to printers T.J. Hutchinson & Son, while looking up Essex Street from Washington St. Published by T.J. Hutchinson & Son, Salem, Mass. The Price Building was demolished in 1969 to improve traffic flow, and the site is now home to Lappin Park and the Bewitched statue.
  • [Price Building.]

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1876-01-01)
    SV088 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View featuring the 1875-built Price Building, then home to printers T.J. Hutchinson & Son, while looking up Essex Street from Washington St. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, Salem, Mass., c. 1873-81. The Price Building was demolished in 1969 to improve traffic flow, and the site is now home to Lappin Park and the Bewitched statue.
  • [View of Salem Looking N.E. From Normal School Tower.]

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
    SV009 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Salem looking east-northeast from the tower (or cupola) of Salem Normal School on Broad St. The spire of St. Mary's Church (today Immaculate Conception Church) is visible in the skyline to the far left. Published by photographers J.W. & J.S. Moulton, Salem, Mass., as part of their "New Series, American Views," c. 1873-81.
  • [Residence of Dr. N.R. Morse.]

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
    SV087 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View featuring the residence of Dr. Nathan R. Morse at 118 Washington Street, showing the home itself in the center and the stable to the left. To the right is the Holyoke Building, home to Holyoke Insurance, Willard Goldthwaite Co., and the Salem National Savings Bank. The steeple of the Independent Church at Barton Square is visible in the background, while the railroad line to the depot is visible in the foreground. All the buildings in this shot are non-extant. Published by photographers J.W. & J.S. Moulton, at 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., as part of "American Views," c. 1873-76.
  • [Cabot Street at Railroad Ave.]

    Beckford, Charles A. (1868-01-01)
    SV086 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View, looking to the southwest, featuring the mercantile store of S.D. Herrick at the corner of Cabot Street and Railroad Avenue in Beverly, Mass. Published by Charles A. Beckford, 141 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1868-70. Out of three buildings in view, the two buildings on the right (including the one housing S.D. Herrick's store) are non-extant; the one on the left remains standing at 106 Cabot St.
  • [Looking Down Lafayette St.]

    Perkins & Lefavour (1873-01-01)
    SV085 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View down Lafayette Street by the (non-extant) residence of George P. Rust, visible to the right at 137 (now 287, the former Temple Shalom) Lafayette, at the corner of Ocean Avenue. A man stands by the trolley to the left. As written on the back, "noble Elms both sides 'till you reach the Bridge. [The road is] 100ft wide, [with] houses back 30ft from sidewalk." Published by Perkins & Lefavour, "photographic artists," at 238 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1870s.
  • [A Lafayette St. Home.]

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
    SV084 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of an unidentified house possibly on Lafayette Street. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1874-76.
  • Charles Ward's House

    J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1873-01-01)
    SV083 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View of Charles Ward's House at 98 Lafayette Street (now 230 Lafayette Street) at the corner with Roslyn Street. The house was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1914. Published by J.W. & J.S. Moulton, 256 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1873-76.
  • [Looking Down Lafayette St.]

    1870-01-01
    SV082 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View down Lafayette Street from around the corner of Lafayette and Ocean, with a trolley visible on the street along with a man sitting down in the far-right. Due to the Great Fire of 1914 not reaching this far south on Lafayette, the houses in view are mostly extant. Creator unknown, c. 1870s-80s.
  • Lafayette St. Looking East

    Fogg, Charles G. (1874-01-01)
    SV081 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View up Lafayette Street looking southeast, in the winter. All the homes visible in this shot are non-extant due to the decimation of the area by the Great Fire of 1914. Published by Charles G. Fogg, 163 Essex Street, Salem Mass.
  • Lafayette St.

    Cousins, Frank; J.W. & J.S. Moulton (1874-01-01)
    SV080 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking up Lafayette Street, with trolley track and a multitude of old elms visible. Nearly all of these trees were destroyed by the Great Fire of 1914. Published by Frank Cousins, 172 Essex Street, Salem, Mass, as part of "Salem in 1876," with J.W. & J.S. Moulton credited as photographers.
  • Lafayette St. Looking East.

    Fogg, Charles G. (1873-01-01)
    SV079 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View looking northeast of the corner of Lafayette and Washington Streets from Mill Hill, looking down the street and toward what was then the "Lafayette No. 5" Engine House. The wooden station was later replaced with a brick structure that would succumb to the Great Fire of 1914, along with all the other buildings visible in this shot. The land at the corner is now the site of Lafayette Park. Published by Charles G. Fogg, 163 Essex Street, Salem, Mass,,

View more