Essex St. from Washington St. Looking Down.
|Beckford, Charles A.
|SV059 — Nelson Dionne Collection. View down Essex Street from a building on that street, looking toward Washington Street (contrary to the printed title), with a particular focus on some of the buildings at Town House Square. At left stands the First Church building, which later would became the home of Daniel Low & Company. To the center stands the Holyoke Building, which housed Holyoke Mutual Insurance Company until 1936 when it moved to a new building at Holyoke Square and later housed the locally famous Gerber's Restaurant. To the right of the Holyoke Building stands a building housing Julian A. Fogg & Co. The Price Building replaced it in 1875, and itself was taken down in 1969. The Holyoke Building, meanwhile, was destroyed by the Gerbers fire of January, 1971. The site of both buildings now houses Lappin Park which hosts the Bewitched statue. Published by Charles A. Beckford, 141 Essex Street, Salem, Mass., c. 1868-70.
|Essex St. from Washington St. Looking Down.
|Town House Square